There was an error in this gadget

Monday, March 8, 2010

Ask Army Wife 101: ERD (Early Return of Dependents)

I received this question below from a reader whom we will call Mary. I consider my self to be a Google Diva in that I can find anything, but I make it known that I won't talk to much on a topic I know little about. If any of my readers know more about ERD's please feel free to add your experiences with it in the comments section below.

Q. I am stationed in Germany and we have some family issues back in the states. I am trying to research information about PCSing early for hardship reasons. I am not getting anywhere. Can you tell me what exactly it is called? So I can do some research. Thanks.

Hi Mary and thank you for writing Army Wife 101!

It sounds like what you are looking for is called Early Return of Dependents. While I am somewhat familiar with it , I do not know much about it and have not done an ERD myself.
Since you are willing to do some research here are a few links that will guide you on your journey to completing an ERD.



3.ERD Source

Best of Luck!

Hooah & Smooches


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. If you want to do an ERD go through your husband's chain of command. You will have to have a valid reason like marital issues, parents ill, etc. Some things won't fly it all depends on the situation and if u can provide proof. If you get an approved ERD you can return to the states with/or without your household goods, but you cannot return to Germany on command sponsorship. If you decide to go back to Germany you will have to do it out of your own pocket and you won't get medical benefits or anything unless in rare cases that is approved. Trust me its rare. There are a series of steps you have to take depending on what your issue is that is causing you to want to go back to the sates and his chain of command will provide you with that info. Good luck!

  3. I was told that anyone can file for an ERD and that as long as you go through all the counselings and understand that this is a one way trip- meaning the army will NOT bring you back- that ERD's are not denied.

    I am in the process of an ERD simply because we are not comfortable in our host nation and because we have had multiple problems with the off post health care for myself and our children.

    The process usually takes about 3 months and is initiated by your soldier's chain of command. You basically do paperwork, attend counselings with finance, chaplains, out-processing, etc and wait for it to move up the chain and back down to you.

    HHG will move your stuff and car-- we are leaving our car with my husband as I have one in the states, so he will be able to ship it later.

    It's pretty point blank and simple= it's mostly waiting.


Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.