Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Visit to Pearl Harbor











Today my family and I visited the most toured place in Hawaii PEARL HARBOR.

Let me just say that I feel guilty for not visiting sooner. Words cannot describe the emotion and feeling that comes upon you when you realize that you are standing on top of a sunken ship and hundreds (if not thousands) of brave men and women who gave there lives .

I already had a brief understanding of what occurred on December 7, 1941 but did not really have the indepth knowledge that I should have except for watching the movie Pearl Harbor.

Little did I know that the Airfield my husband works on was the site of the first attacks on PH.
Wheeler Army Airfield was a primary target and site of the first attack on 7 December 1941, leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor.[2] The Japanese attacked the airfield to prevent the numerous planes there from getting airborne and engaging them. The installation has a National Historic Landmark District in association with the attack on 7 December, 1941. The 1941 Flightline, hangars and barracks survive today[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler_Army_Airfield)

The mood was somber as we boarded the boat to head out to the USS Arizona Memorial . When we arrived we were asked to remember that even though this is a tourist area it is still a cemetary and voices should be low and respect given. The most amazing thing is that 68 years later you can still see the oil on the surface of the water that has been bubbling from the sunken ship below


While I cannot stand living in Hawaii I have to say that today I appreciate living here alittle more and as sad as I am that my husband will be leaving me to go to Iraq ... I am really proud of the sacrifice he is making as did the brave men and women on December 7, 1941.

3 comments:

  1. Why don't you like living in Hawaii? I thought that those islands were a awesome place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawaii is very overrated and you have to fly to get to any other islands so visiting other islands is not a often thing.

    You also get island fever because I am stuck on the island of Oahu and it's not big at all . Beaches get alittle boring after a while especially where there is no where else to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so pretty. I cant wait to visit there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.